Translate

Thursday 3 October 2013

Are The Days Of Quinn Group Numbered?

From: quinn group
Sent: 09/02/13 04:40 PM
Subject: Employee Concerns

Mr O'Brien,

I have been working at the Quinn Group for many years. I have been talking to my colleagues for the past several months about the disgraceful behaviour that we see every day and I decided that it was time to write to you. I can't believe that you do not know what is happening but in case you don't I feel I have to tell you. I can't sign my name to this email because I have seen what has happened to other people when they did that.

There is a lot of talk at work and all around my area about what is happening in the company so here is what has happened recently.

There has been a 20 million drop in profits in the last 6 months. This is after drops in the previous few years as well.

The roof of the clinker store fell in. Management have been telling people that this has been fixed but I know that repairs have not even started on it yet.

The staff canteen has closed and the equipment was moved in the middle of the night so that there would be less talk about it.

There has been lorrys, dumpers tarmac rollers and other plant and machinery all sold and that money has been used to make the accounts look better.

New machinery is bought on HP so that there will be finance required for years.

Stock in the yard is at a very low level. Spare parts are at a low level which means that machines are not being repaired. Two quarrys were idle for weeks because we didn't have spare parts.

Some of the quarrys are almost out of raw material and we don't know where we are going to get any more limestone or sandstone or shale.

With everything that is going on, you are rarely in Derrylin. You even brought management to Dublin last week to drill them on what to say at the board meeting this week. Some members of staff have gone on so-called bonding holidays to Majorca at the companys expense while people like me on low wages are not getting any overtime any more. People who don't seem to be able to run the company are  getting huge salarys and are driving top of the range cars.

All of this leaves people like me in am impossible situation. We have no one to advise us and if we are seen to cause any problems or ask too many questions then we feel that we will be sacked. This has happened before and you have said that anyone who doesn't agree with how the place is run will be sacked. This is all putting a huge strain on all of the staff. Moral is low especially with anyone who has to answer questions from agitated people on the phone. It does not help that phone calls for all divisions are answered from one area. Some people are so stressed at work that the have had to take sick leave.

As I said, I can't sign my name because I am afraid. I wanted you to know that everyone - not just staff members but everyone in the locality are getting very nervous about what is happening and most of us believe that we will have no jobs at all very soon. You can do something to help us. Please do.


Sincerely

A very concerned staff member

No comments: